Hello! I am Fenia (officially, Efthimia). I am Assistant Professor at the Leiden Institute of Advanced Computer Science, working at the Programming Education Research Lab. I am also affiliated with the Department of Computer Science of the Open University of the Netherlands.
I do research in computing education and software engineering. I also used to do research on trust management and networks security.
- Efthimia Aivaloglou, Anna van der Meulen. An Empirical Study of Students’ Perceptions on the Setup and Grading of Group Programming Assignments. ACM Trans. Comput. Educ, 21(3), March 2021 (summary, pdf)
- Anna van der Meulen, Efthimia Aivaloglou. Who Does What? Work Division and AllocationStrategies of Computer Science Student Teams. ICSE SEET 2021 (to appear)
- Ad Zeevaarders, Efthimia Aivaloglou. Exploring the Programming Concepts Practiced by Scratch Users: An Analysis of Project Repositories. IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON2021) (pdf)
- Sabiha Yeni, Efthimia Aivaloglou, and Felienne Hermans. To Be or Not to Be a Teacher? Exploring CS Students’ Perceptions of a Teaching Career. In Koli Calling ’20: Proceedings of the 20th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research (Koli Calling ’20), 2020 (pdf)
- Jan Jaap Sandee and Efthimia Aivaloglou. GitCanary: A Tool for Analyzing Student Contributions in Group Programming Assignments. In Koli Calling ’20: Proceedings of the 20th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research (Koli Calling ’20), 2020 (pdf)
- Efthimia Aivaloglou and Felienne Hermans. How is programming taught in code clubs? Exploring the experiences and gender perceptions of code club teachers. In 19th Koli Calling International Conference on Computing Education Research (Koli Calling ’19), 2019 (summary, pdf, presentation recorded at the Cambridge Computing Education Research Symposium 2020)
- Efthimia Aivaloglou and Felienne Hermans. Early Programming Education and Career Orientation: the Effects of Gender, Self-Efficacy, Motivation and Stereotypes. Proceedings of the 2019 ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, 2019 (summary, pdf)
- Felienne Hermans, Alaaeddin Swidan, Efthimia Aivaloglou and Marileen Smit. Thinking out of the box: comparing metaphors for variables in programming education. Proceedings of the 13th Workshop in Primary and Secondary Computing Education, WiPSCE ’18, pages 8:1-8:8, 2018 (summary, pdf)
- Felienne Hermans, Alaaeddin Swidan and Efthimia Aivaloglou. Code phonology: an exploration into the vocalization of code. Proceedings of the 26th Conference on Program Comprehension, ICPC ’18, pages 308-311, 2018 (summary, pdf)
- Efthimia Aivaloglou, David Hoepelman, and Felienne Hermans. Parsing excel formulas: A grammar and its application on four large datasets. Journal of Software: Evolution and Process, 29(12), 2017 (pdf)
- Guanliang Chen, Dan Davis, Markus Krause, Efthimia Aivaloglou, Claudia Hauff, and Geert-Jan Houben. Can learners be earners? investigating a design to enable MOOC learners to apply their skills and earn money in an online market place. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 2016
- Efthimia Aivaloglou, Felienne Hermans, Jess Moreno-Len, and Gregorio Robles. A dataset of scratch programs: Scraped, shaped and scored. In the 14th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR), pages 511-514, 2017 (pdf)
- Felienne Hermans and Efthimia Aivaloglou. Teaching software engineering principles to k-12 students: A MOOC on scratch. In Proceedings of the 39th International Conference on Software Engineering Companion, ICSE ’17, pages 13–22, 2017 (summary, pdf)
- Felienne Hermans and Efthimia Aivaloglou. To Scratch or not to Scratch?: A controlled experiment comparing plugged first and unplugged first programming lessons. Proceedings of the 12th Workshop on Primary and Secondary Computing Education, WiPSCE ’17, pages 8:1-8:8, 2017 (summary, pdf)
- Gregorio Robles, Jess Moreno-Len, Efthimia Aivaloglou, and Felienne Hermans. Software clones in scratch projects: on the presence of copy-and-paste in computational thinking learning. In 2017 IEEE 11th International Workshop on Software Clones (IWSC), pages 1–7, Feb 2017 (pdf)
- Efthimia Aivaloglou and Felienne Hermans. How kids code and how we know: An exploratory study on the scratch repository. In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research, ICER ’16, pages 53–61. ACM, 2016 (pdf)
- Felienne Hermans and Efthimia Aivaloglou. Do code smells hamper novice programming? a controlled experiment on scratch programs. In 2016 IEEE 24th International Conference on Program Comprehension (ICPC), pages 1–10, May 2016 (pdf)
- Felienne Hermans, Bas Jansen, Sohon Roy, Efthimia Aivaloglou, Alaeddin Swidan, and David Hoepelman. Spreadsheets are code: An overview of software engineering approaches applied to spreadsheets. In 2016 IEEE 23rd International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution, and Reengineering (SANER), volume 5, pages 56–65, March 2016 (pdf)
- Sohon Roy, Felienne Hermans, Efthimia Aivaloglou, Jos Winter, and Arie van Deursen. Evaluating automatic spreadsheet metadata extraction on a large set of responses from MOOC participants. In 2016 IEEE 23rd International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution, and Reengineering (SANER), volume 1, pages 135–145, March 2016 (pdf)
- Felienne Hermans, Efthimia Aivaloglou, and Bas Jansen. Detecting problematic lookup functions in spreadsheets. In Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), 2015 IEEE Symposium on, pages 153–157, Oct 2015 (pdf)
- Efthimia Aivaloglou, David Hoepelman, and Felienne Hermans. A grammar for spreadsheet formulas evaluated on two large datasets. In Source Code Analysis and Manipulation (SCAM), 2015 IEEE 15th International Working Conference on, pages 121–130, Sept 2015 (pdf)
I am teaching/have taught the following courses:
- Software Development for the Bachelor Bioinformatica, the Bachelor Informatica & Economie and the Bachelor Artificial Intelligence
- Algorithms and Data Structures for the Bachelor Bioinformatica and the Bachelor Informatica & Economie
- Software Architecture (IM0203) for the Master in Software Engineering and for the OU’s certification program
- Concepts of Programming Languages (IB2702) for the Bachelor Computer Science
- Academic Writing (IB2002, IM0001) for the Bachelor Computer Science and the Master in Software Engineering
- Gerralt Gottemaker: Automated feedback on the code quality of student projects.
- Ben Nieuwhof: Attractiveness of Open Source Software projects to new contributors.
- Zaher Alyousef: Quality in low code.
- Shangyi Tang (graduated in December 2020): Clustering Scratch programs.
- Jan Jaap Sandee (graduated in October 2020): Using metrics mined from software repositories to assist in individual guidance of students’ group programming projects.
- Ad Zeevaarders (graduated in July 2020): Exploring the learning progression of Scratch users.
- Orla Dijkink (graduated in April 2020): Occurrence of code smells in low-code.
Tools & Datasets
- XLParser: A C# Excel formula parser, extensively tested with publicly available spreadsheets datasets, which you can play with here
- GitCanary: A tool for analyzing student contributions in group programming assignments, developed and maintained by Jan Jaap Sandee, presented in this tool paper.
- Scratch dataset: Scraped data for 250K Scratch projects
- The Spreadsheet labelling game and its exciting implementation story
Email address: email@example.com
Visiting address: Snellius Building – Room 104a, Niels Bohrweg 1, 2333 CA, Leiden